Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mine Mayhem

Being a tour guide seemed like an easy job to me. For a good 250 coins every month, you led penguins around town, teaching them about the island and helping them learn their way around. I liked it a lot- it made me feel important. Like I was a big part of the island.

That morning, I was at my post, early as usual. The Ski Village was already bustling with penguins.
I held up my sign- and like magic, penguins began to appear. The tricks of a tour guide- always seem excited, happy, and interesting, never bored, and penguins will come your way.

I started my tour at the Plaza and led them around the island. I told them about the history of places, how to play the games, fun activities to do, and everything else I could think of. I hardly even looked at the group as I led them around.
Finally, we had a rest stop at the Coffee Shop. I was teaching them how to play Mancala when I had the urge to look back. None of the penguins seemed interested.

All right. This tour was officially more boring than a math class. I needed to make it more exciting. But how? I racked my mind for a part of the island that I usually didn't tour. The answer came to me in a flash- the Mine!

"Come on, everyone, we're going to get some adventure!" I exclaimed eagerly. "We're going to... the Mine!" I bounced out of the Coffee Shop. The penguins were surprised at my sudden excitement, but they followed me out and to the Mine.
"This is the Mine Shack," I said. "It can be... a little dangerous sometimes." Right now, it wasn't so safe, too. Earth Day supplies were strewn around, and hammers and nails and screwdrivers were all over the place. "Watch your step."
"Can we go inside?" a boy asked curiously.
I racked my brains. I wasn't supposed to take penguins inside the Mine Shack, expecially during part preparations. But this group deserved it. And after all, what could happen? "Sure," I said, and led them in. "Welcome to the Mine..."

We went inside. The group looked around, interested. The deep, dark cave walls loomed overhead, and stalactites and stalagmites were scattered over the ceiling and floor. Lanterns cast small shadows on all of the penguins.
"This is deep, man," a hippie said, grinning. "I mean, groovy. Peace out, sista!"
"Too dry in here," said a Water-Suit Sprayer. "Time for WATER!" He started to spray water into the Mine.
"Hey, I don't think that's a good idea," I said. "Please stop."
The guy hit the stop button, but it didn't work. It had jammed up! The water kept on pouring out- and it showed no signs of ending. Penguins started to scream and yell as the water reached up to their elbows.

"Stop!" I cried, choking on the water, which was now above my head. "STOP IT!" The current rocked through the tunnels, swirling us all around in a gigantic whirlpool. We swirled around the Mine, all desperately trying to stay above the water.
Rocks from the walls began to dislodge themselves and fly our way. I screamed as one narrowly missed me, and lodged itself in the opening. My eyes opened wide with horror. The opening had been blocked out! We couldn't escape!

Suddenly, the water began to go down. The penguin had finally turned his water-sprayer off, and we all sank to the ground, choking and sputtering on the water we had accidentally swallowed. It was dark- too dark. Much, much too dark.

"What's going on?" someone cried.

"We're trapped," I said. "A rock got stuck in the passageway, and we can't get out!"
"We'll just have to wait and be rescued," someone else said calmly.

I felt a jolt of fear in my stomach. "We can't," I said slowly. "Because... our air supply has been blocked off. We have an hour... and that's it. If our time runs out..." I couldn't finish my sentence. It was too terrible to think about.

"Quick, into the next room," I said. We all rushed in- but it was just as dark.
The Hidden Lake was just as bad.
I sat down and began to shiver. Before I knew it, I was feeling scared and unhappy, and on the verge of tears. I doubted I would see another day- or my puffles, or my friends, or...
"Wait!" a scuba diver cried. "Wait a second... I have an idea!" We all looked up at him, but I didn't have high hopes.

"We can swim to land," he said, slowly. "I've got my scuba suit, and a few extras. Let's go!"

I could hardly believe it. We were going to make it through alive! Slowly we all headed into the Underwater and started swimming. It was a long way. Even though we were tired, even though we thought we couldn't do it, we kept on swimming.
Finally, we broke the surface, and all crowded onto the beach. "We did it!" I cheered.
The crowd looked at each other ruefully. "I'm tired," one penguin said. "I'm going home," another said. They all left, one by one, until it was just me. I was just as exhausted... but happy. I went to the Ski Lodge to relax. What a day it had been!
There you go, Lemon2608! I hoped you liked how I made your story idea. Thanks for the suggestion, and I look forwards to the next story contest!

Love it? Hate it? Comments? Questions? Suggestions? Ideas for future stories? COMMENT!

-Peggie Quin

4 comments:

  1. this is so cool! Also you and cafina deleted me can you add me again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I LOVE it! Can I be in your next story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon2608- So glad you liked it! :) I don't really know what my next story is going to be, but when I do, I'll ask you for sure. Thanks for your awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No prob! It would be cool if we could meet on CP sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to comment on this post? Have fun commenting- but please, no spamming, advertising, or cursing.